August 25, 2006

CHAPTER II A SKIRMISH

Andy Burke was not the boy to run away from an opponent of his own size and age. Neither did he propose to submit quietly to the thrashing which Godfrey designed to give him. He dropped his stick and bundle, and squared off scientifically at his aristocratic foe. Godfrey paused an instant before him. "I'm going to give you a thrashing," he said; "the worst thrashing you ever had." "Are you, now?" asked Andy, undismayed. "Come on, thin; I'm ready for you." "You're an impudent young ruffian." "So are you." Godfrey's aristocratic blood boiled at this retort, and he struck out at Andy, but the latter knew what was coming, and, swift as a flash, warded it off, and fetched Godfrey a blow full upon his nose, which started the blood. Now, the pain and the sight of the blood combined filled him with added fury, and he attempted to seize Andy around the waist and throw him. But here again he was foiled. The young Irish boy evaded his grasp, and, seizing him in turn, by an adroit movement of the foot, tripped him up. Godfrey fell heavily on his back. Andy withdrew a little, and did not offer to hold him down, as Godfrey would have been sure to do under similar circumstances. "Have you got enough?" he asked. "That wasn't fair," exclaimed Godfrey, jumping up hastily, deeply mortified because he had been worsted in the presence of John, who, sooth to say, rather enjoyed his young master's overthrow. He rushed impetuously at Andy, but he was blinded by his own impetuosity, and his adversary, who kept cool and self-possessed, had, of course, the advantage. So the engagement terminated as before--Godfrey was stretched once more on the sidewalk. He was about to renew the assault, however, when there was an interruption. This interruption came in the form of Colonel Preston himself, who was returning from a business meeting of citizens interested in establishing a savings bank in the village. "What's all this, Godfrey?" he called out, in a commanding tone. Godfrey knew that when his father spoke he must obey, and he therefore desisted from the contemplated attack. He looked up at his father and said, sulkily: "I was punishing this Irish boy for his impertinence." John grinned a little at this way of putting it, and his father said: "It looked very much as if he were punishing you." "I didn't get fair hold," said Godfrey, sulkily. "So he was impertinent, was he? What did he say?" "He said I was no gentleman." Andy Burke listened attentively to what was said, but didn't attempt to justify himself as yet. "I have sometimes had suspicions of that myself," said his father, quietly. Though Godfrey was an only son, his father was sensible enough to be fully aware of his faults. If he was indulged, it was his mother, not his father, that was in fault. Colonel Preston was a fair and just man, and had sensible views about home discipline; but he was overruled by his wife, whose character may be judged from the fact that her son closely resembled her. She was vain, haughty, and proud of putting on airs. She considered herself quite the finest lady in the village, but condescended to associate with the wives of the minister, the doctor, and a few of the richer inhabitants, but even with them she took care to show that she regarded herself superior to them all. She was, therefore, unpopular, as was her son among his companions. However, these two stood by each other, and Mrs. Preston was sure to defend Godfrey in all he did, and complained because his father did not do the same. "I didn't think you'd turn against me, and let a low boy insult me," complained Godfrey. "Why do you call him low?" "Because he's only an Irish boy." "Some of our most distinguished men have been Irish boys or of Irish descent. I don't think you have proved your point." "He's a beggar." "I'm not a beggar," exclaimed Andy, speaking for the first time. "I never begged a penny in all my life." "Look at his rags," said Godfrey, scornfully. "You would be in rags, too, if you had to buy your own clothes. I think I should respect you very much more under the circumstances," returned his father. "The colonel's a-givin' it to him," thought John, with a grin. "'Twon't do the young master any harm." "What is your name?" inquired Colonel Preston, turning now to our hero, as his son seemed to have no more to say. "Andy Burke." "Do you live here?" "I've just come to town, sir. My mother lives here." "Where does she live?" "I don't know, sir, just. He knows," pointing out John. "I calcerlate his mother lives in old Jake Barlow's house," said John. "Oh, the Widow Burke. Yes, I know. I believe Mrs. Preston employs her sometimes. Well, Andy, if that's your name, how is it that I catch you fighting with my son? That is not very creditable, unless you have good cause." "He called my mother a low woman," said Andy, "and then he run up and hit me." "Did you do that, Godfrey?" "He was putting on too many airs. He talked as if he was my equal." "He appears to be more than your equal in strength," said his father. "Well, was that all?" "It was about all." "Then I think he did perfectly right, and I hope you'll profit by the lesson you have received." "He is a gentleman," thought Andy. "He ain't hard on a boy because he's poor." Colonel Preston went into the house, but Godfrey lingered behind a moment. He wanted to have a parting shot at his adversary. He could fight with words, if not with blows. "Look here!" he said, imperiously; "don't let me see you round here again." "Why not?" "I don't want to see you." "Then you can look the other way," said Andy, independently. "This is my house." "I thought it was your father's." "That's the same thing. You'd better stay at home with your mother." "Thank you," said Andy; "you're very kind. May I come along the road sometimes?" "If you do, walk on the other side." Andy laughed. He was no longer provoked, but amused. "Then, by the same token, you'd better not come by my mother's house," he said, good-humoredly. "I don't want to come near your miserable shanty," said Godfrey, disdainfully. "You may come, if you keep on the other side of the road," said Andy, slyly. Godfrey was getting disgusted; for in the war of words, as well as of blows, his ragged opponent seemed to be getting the better of him. He turned on his heel and entered the house. He was sure of one who would sympathize with him in his dislike and contempt for Andy--this was, of course, his mother. Besides, he had another idea. He knew that Mrs. Burke had been employed by his mother, occasionally, to assist in the house. It occurred to him that it would be a fine piece of revenge to induce her to dispense hereafter with the poor woman's services. Bent on accomplishing this creditable retaliation, he left his young opponent master of the field. "I must be goin'," said Andy, as he picked up his bundle and suspended it from his stick. "Will I find the house where my mother lives, easy?" The question was, of course, addressed to John, who had just turned to go to the stable. "You can't miss it," answered John. "It's a mile up the road, stands a little way back. There's a few hills of potatoes in the front yard. How long since you saw your mother?" "It's three months." "Does she know you are coming to-day?" "No. I would have wrote to her, but my fingers isn't very ready with the pen." "Nor mine either," said John. "I'd rather take a licking any time than write a letter. Come round and see us some time." The boy'll lick me," said Andy, laughing. "I guess you can manage him." Andy smiled, for it was his own conviction, also. With his bundle onhis shoulder he trudged on, light of heart, for he was about to see his mother and sister, both of whom he warmly loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

WingSix--Leading Web Hosting Provider!!!

Download ZoneAlarm Pro Here

Counter Statistics